Don’t Let Your Dog Be Poisioned!Whether you are headed to a pet friendly hiking trail or are cleaning up around your own home, knowing what common items could poison your beloved pet is important. Sadly, there are over 100,000 animals poisoned each year in the United States alone, and many of these are caused by common items that could easily show up in your own home or neighborhood.

One of the most common poisons for animals is your own medication. Ibuprofen and other NSAIDS can cause kidney failure in dogs. Antidepressants and drugs for tuberculosis can also be fatal or cause seizures. When you are home you likely keep these items out of your pet’s reach. Make sure when you travel with your pet or are visiting friends, that you do the same.

Common house plants can also be a problem. If you are traveling to a friend or relative’s over Christmas holidays this year, make sure your environment is free from fresh poinsettias, which are poisonous. Other plants to avoid include sago palms, azaleas, rhododendrons, tulips and daffodils.

Finally, watch out for chemicals. Antifreeze, which your dog could lick off of the parking lot when travelling or driveway around home, is a very dangerous poison. So are paint thinner and most household cleaners. Take precautions when traveling to ensure that your pet is not accidentally exposed to these substances, and keep them locked up when you are at home. Remember, you are the only one who can advocate for your pet’s health, so do what you can to protect him from these common poisons. Many pet friendly hotels (especially Pets Can Stay properties) have already taken this into consideration and made their environment both child and pet safe.

Don’t Let Your Dog Be Poisioned!,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *