Whether you have a bird, a prairie dog or an iguana, exotic pets provide a talking point over dinner parties. Yet you may not know everything you should about your pet. If you have an exotic pet, read on to learn some interesting facts about popular exotic pets.
- While you might not think of it as an exotic pet, a goldfish is an interesting pet. These little critters can live up to 40 years when cared for properly.
- If you have a hamster, watch it blink. It may only blink one eye at a time.
- Birds have incredible hearts that beat 400 times a minute, while at rest.
- Eating like a bird is a fallacy. Birds eat at least half of their weight in food daily.
- Large pet birds, such as parrots, can live as long as you do.
- Your iguana has great lungs. He can hold his breath for a full half hour.
- Ferrets are the third most popular American pet, so your ferret may not be as exotic as you think.
- Ferrets will yawn if you hold them by their scruff.
- Grab a lizard by its tail and it may fall off. Don’t worry, this is a normal behavior. The tail will grow back.
Do you have an exotic pet? Have you ever travelled with it? What fun facts have you noticed?
Linking directly from your website to Pets Can Stay articles is encouraged.
We are also happy to give permission to other websites if you wish to reprint our articles. Should you wish to request reprint permission just ask…. simply e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org